Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Gay Life My Father Never Explained



Recently I asked my father if he always knew he was gay.

We were walking at night. He bought us souvlaki and beer, and somehow that made the whole conversation easier. Just the two of us walking and eating like normal people while I asked questions that were absolutely not normal.

He looked at me like I had asked whether the sky was above us.

Of course, he said.

Just like that.

Of course.

He said it so calmly. Like this was common information. Like I had been late to a meeting everyone else had already attended.

I think he thought I knew.

Maybe he thought he had been obvious. Maybe he thought Fritz had been obvious. Maybe adults really believe children understand everything because children notice everything.

But noticing and understanding are different things.

For years, I thought I understood Germany.

My father went there for work.

I went with him sometimes for long periods of time, and that was the explanation in my head.

Work.

Business.

Meetings.

Hotels.

Apartments.

Adults talking about things I only partly understood.

My father has always said he was built for work, so I believed that was the whole story. He worked, he made money, he moved through rooms full of men in suits, and I followed him through pieces of that life like a child watching a film without subtitles.

I noticed men around him.

I noticed Germany.

I noticed Fritz.

I noticed the way some people belonged to his world more than others.

I just put all of it in the wrong boxes.

Germany went into the work box.

Fritz went into the mentor box.

My father went into the father box.

And romance never entered the room.

That is funny to me now.

Also a little embarrassing.

Because I am over thirty. I have had enough sex, enough drama, enough obsession, enough men, enough life to know better. And still, somehow, I never looked at it the right way.

He was my father.

Powerful.

Private.

Untouchable in a way.

Money, work, control, protection.

That was how I understood him.

Then I asked Fritz.

I asked him if there was something between him and my father.

He did not give me a clear answer, because of course he didn’t. Nothing about those two is clear in that way. They are both independent. Both job-oriented. Both the kind of men who can make a relationship exist in the background for years and still act like nothing needs to be announced.

But yes.

There was something.

There is something.

That was enough.

It changed Germany for me.

Suddenly all those long stays with my father did not look the same.

Maybe Germany was work.

Of course it was work.

My father would probably die before admitting anything could compete with work.

But maybe Germany was also where another part of him could breathe.

Maybe it was where Fritz was.

Maybe it was where my father could be something other than the version people saw at home. Something less armored. Something private. Something his.

That made me strangely happy.

Actually, it made me extremely happy.

I had imagined parts of his life as colder than they were.

More sealed.

More empty.

I thought he moved through Germany like a machine with money and schedules and responsibilities.

Now I picture another layer.

Fritz somewhere in that story.

My father going there and having work, yes, but also a person. A connection. Something in his life that was alive in a way I did not understand.

That changes a childhood memory.

People say the past cannot change. I don’t believe that. The facts don’t change, but the meaning can turn around and bite you years later.

A room you remembered as empty suddenly has someone inside it.

A trip you remembered as business suddenly has a pulse.

A country you remembered as your father’s work territory suddenly becomes part of his gay life.

And then your childhood feels different.

Warmer.

Less lonely.

Less like I was moving beside a man made only of ambition.

More like I was moving around a hidden love story and somehow nobody gave me the subtitles.

Fritz was my mentor.

He was the first openly gay person I met when I was a kid. He taught me about gay history, gay art, gay life, AIDS, desire, men, culture, survival. Some things I understood then. Some things I only understand now. Some things I probably still don’t understand because Fritz has always been polite and secretive in a way that makes you feel there are locked drawers everywhere.

I loved him as Fritz.

Now I know he was also connected to my father.

That makes him feel even closer.

He was part of Germany. Part of the silence. Part of something in my father’s life I had never seen.

And I like that.

I like it a lot.

I think little me would have loved it.

Little me would have made a whole story immediately. My father and Fritz in Germany. Secret romance. Some dramatic wedding. Me as best man, obviously, because even as a child I would have found a way to make it partly about me.

I can see it too clearly.

Me standing there, very serious, probably overdressed, acting like the ceremony depended on my presence.

It makes me laugh.

It also hurts a little, but in a good way.

Because I wish I had known.

Maybe they thought I did.

Maybe they assumed it was obvious.

Maybe they underestimated how completely a child can misunderstand adult silence.

My father talked about me too.

He said he did not care about having children. He never had some sweet fantasy about becoming a father. At the beginning, I was tied to practical things in his mind. Family pressure, surrogacies, and having to produce an heir to get access to an inheritance he had worked for.

That did not hurt me.

It sounded like him.

Then he said I became important when I became myself.

When I started speaking.

Showing character.

Showing whatever strange thing I was.

He loved me because I was me.

That made me happier than a sentimental answer would have.

I don’t want to be loved as an automatic duty.

I want to be wanted specifically.

He gave me that sentence without even realizing how much it would feed me.

Then he said my mother had told him I was sensitive. Different. Maybe she said effeminate. Maybe she said gay. I don’t know the exact words, but I know the meaning.

She was worried other children would hurt me.

When he heard that, he wanted to see me more.

That part stayed with me.

Because now I understand his protection differently.

He saw something in me that belonged to him too.

He knew what the world could do to a gay boy.

He had already carried some version of that.

So he came closer.

That is very much my father.

He sees danger and builds a wall before anyone else has finished discussing feelings.

Maybe that is why I trusted him so much.

He did not always explain love.

He acted like love was a structure.

A house.

A door.

Money.

Protection.

A room where the world could not reach me easily.

I used to think that was just his way of being my father.

Now I think it was also recognition.

A gay father looking at his gay son and thinking: the world will try to destroy him, and I will not let it.

That is intense to realize.

It also makes me proud.

Proud of him.

Proud of myself.

Proud in a way that feels old and childish at the same time.

And then there is Fritz, standing somewhere inside all of this.

Fritz teaching me gay history while already being part of my family history.

That is almost too perfect.

Too strange.

Too dramatic.

Now I keep looking back at Germany differently.

They can keep their strange arrangement, their silence, their unfinished words, their whatever-this-is. They were already doing it while I was busy understanding nothing.

But I am happy I know now.

My father has someone in his life.

And it is Fritz.

Now I think I was remembering a life I did not know how to read.

A gay life.

My father’s life.

Fritz’s life.

And somehow mine too, before I even understood myself.

It feels like finding out there was love in the room all along.

I just didn’t know where to look.

 

4 comments:

  1. Loved this! Thought it captured beautifully the recalibration we do when we realise our parents are human beings too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is...beautifully worded. You describing your father's love as something structural hits real close to home.

    ReplyDelete

THE GAY RELATIONSHIP MANUAL WE WROTE FOR OURSELVES - PART 1: THERE WAS NEVER A MANUAL FOR US

  Four posts about how Seunghoon and I built a relationship that fits us, even when almost none of the usual advice did. So many people ha...