Monday, August 3, 2026

The Case I Solved Too Early



One of the first conversations I ever had with one of my closest friends wasn't about music or men.

It was about cognitive bias.

We had met while studying criminology, and after reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman we somehow ended up discussing tunnel vision in criminal investigations. We talked about how detectives become convinced they've found the right suspect and then, often without realizing it, start collecting only the evidence that supports their theory while overlooking everything that doesn't.

Years later, I realized I had done exactly the same thing.

The only case I was investigating...

...was myself.

 

If there was one diagnosis I was absolutely convinced I didn't have, it was autism.

Not because I had carefully ruled it out.

Simply because, somewhere along the way, I had decided:

"That isn't me."

The strange part is that I wasn't unfamiliar with autism.

I studied psychology.

Later I studied criminology, where understanding human behaviour became part of everyday life.

I had studied disorders, diagnostic reasoning and cognitive bias. I knew how easily an existing assumption could distort everything that followed. I just never noticed that I had already made one about myself.

 

Another reason I was so certain was much more personal.

My boyfriend is autistic.

We've known each other since we were children, and for years he became my unconscious definition of what autism looked like.

When we were younger, he had very little interest in sex. That changed as he got older, but growing up we were almost complete opposites.

I couldn't stop thinking about men.

He had very specific objects he wanted to carry or touch.

He had repetitive patterns with some of his toys.

I didn't.

Today he is still an introvert, but he has more of a social life than I do.

He still prefers spending most of his time at home, but he is more willing to meet people than I am.

Meanwhile, if someone invites me out for coffee, my first thought is often whether I can avoid leaving the house altogether.

If I could choose, I'd rather disappear somewhere remote with the man I love. Just the two of us. Talking, sleeping, having sex, reading, walking, existing. No crowds. No noise. No pretending.

The more I compared us...

the more convinced I became that autism simply wasn't me.

Case closed.

Or so I thought.

 

The funny thing is that I wasn't searching for one magical diagnosis that would suddenly explain my entire life.

I already had explanations.

I had been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.

I also had anxiety.

Later, I was diagnosed with Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder.

Those diagnoses explained many parts of my life.

If anything, I assumed the picture was already complete.

 

Then another psychologist mentioned autistic traits.

I dismissed it.

Later another therapist suggested looking into autism more seriously.

Again, I dismissed it.

Not because I had examined the evidence.

Because I believed I already had.

I had crossed autism off the list so completely that I no longer allowed new information to challenge that conclusion. Whenever something didn't fit, I automatically found another explanation.

 

Then something changed.

Instead of debating labels, my therapist started asking me about my life.

Not dramatic questions.

Small ones.

Almost boring ones.

"Were you a quiet child?"

Yes.

"Did teachers describe you as unusually mature for your age?"

Yes.

"Did you mostly play alone?"

Yes.

"Were there clothes that felt unbearable to wear?"

Yes.

"Foods you couldn't eat because of their texture?"

Yes.

"Bright supermarket lights?"

Yes.

"Unexpected visitors?"

I still hide in my room when I can.

"Do you mentally rehearse conversations before leaving the house?"

Almost every time.

The strange thing wasn't answering "yes."

The strange thing was realizing how many of those things had been with me for as long as I could remember.

They weren't new.

Only the way I looked at them was.

It felt less like discovering new information and more like reopening old files I had never examined properly.

 

Then the questions became even more interesting.

"Why don't you like socializing?"

I expected myself to answer,

"Because I'm anxious."

Instead, I heard myself saying something completely different.

"Because it's loud."

"Because it's superficial."

"Because it's boring."

"Because it feels fake."

That surprised me.

Apparently I'd been carrying that answer around for years without ever saying it out loud.

I dislike being with people.

There are simply a very small number of exceptions.

Give me one or two people I genuinely connect with and I could spend days talking about psychology, horror, magic, martial arts, paranormal stories, men, music or whatever currently has my attention.

Put me in a room full of polite small talk and I feel like I've accidentally walked into a theatre performance where everybody knows their lines except me.

 

Some memories suddenly started making more sense too.

Why I could walk into a brightly lit supermarket and already want to leave before I'd even bought anything.

Why certain fabrics didn't just itch—they felt wrong, as though my body kept insisting they shouldn't be touching my skin.

Why some foods became impossible because of their texture even when the taste itself was fine.

Why certain sounds felt almost physical, and why smells other people barely noticed could become impossible to ignore.

Why several people talking at once could leave me overloaded instead of merely annoyed.

Why I could happily spend years obsessing over the same handful of interests.

Why people always joked that I knew far too much about the things I loved.

Why teachers called me unusually serious.

Why I always preferred one close person over a group.

Why I moved my foot constantly in class without even noticing.

None of those memories appeared because of the diagnosis.

They had always been there.

I had simply filed them under "that's just me."

 

One observation from my therapist stayed with me.

He doesn't think I completely miss social cues.

He thinks I often notice them...

...and then analyse them until they become something they never were.

I see someone's expression.

I replay it.

Before long, I've invented five different explanations.

Usually I choose the worst one.

According to him, I'm not necessarily missing the signal.

I'm often misreading it.

That was an interesting distinction I'd never considered before.

 

One thing I also had to accept was that I had been comparing myself to exactly one autistic person.

My boyfriend.

As if one person could represent an entire spectrum.

I had treated every difference between us as evidence that I couldn't be autistic. Seunghoon had very little interest in sex when we were young; I thought about men constantly. He was more willing to meet people; I tried to avoid them. He needed certain things communicated more directly, while I often noticed social signals and then analysed them until I misread them.

The differences were real. My mistake was believing they cancelled out the possibility that we could both be autistic.

 

Receiving another diagnosis didn't erase the ones I already had.

I still have Borderline Personality Disorder.

I still have anxiety.

I still have Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder.

Those diagnoses remain part of me too.

Autism wasn't a replacement.

It was an addition.

It simply explained some of the parts that never completely fit the explanations I already had.

Not everything belongs to autism or borderline. Some things are probably shaped by both, some by anxiety or Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder, and some are simply my personality.

I no longer need to decide which diagnosis owns every part of me.

And honestly...

I'm perfectly okay with that.


Maybe that's why psychology fascinated me in the first place. I've always wanted to understand how minds work. I just didn't expect one of my own assumptions to remain invisible for so long.

 

The irony was difficult to miss. Years earlier, I had studied tunnel vision in criminal investigations. Now I could see that I had approached myself in exactly the same way: I reached a conclusion early and spent years interpreting everything through it.

I had never imagined I would become my own case study.

 

I'm still the same person I was before that assessment.

I still hate fluorescent supermarket lights.

I still know far too much about strange subjects.

I still prefer forests to crowded cafés.

I still love my boyfriend.

I still think most small talk is painfully boring.

The only real difference is that now I understand one more piece of myself.

After spending so many years trying to understand the human mind, I suppose it was finally time to reopen the case I had solved too early.

 

6 comments:

  1. It must be a Monday morning thing, as like last week's rabbit hole - yours is the first thing that I have read today. Your writing continues to delight and intrigue me and today's has definitely given me some food for thought. As somebody who has no diagnosis of anything, I suddenly found myself responding in a very similar way to the questions that your therapist asked you.....and this is despite knowing a lot of neuro-divergent people. Genuinely thanks for making me think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m glad it gave you something to think about. Sometimes one question opens a much bigger door. 🖤

      Delete
  2. As a neurotypical person, I still find it really interesting to learn about different disorders and how brains works. I discovered you 2 days ago and already read all of your blog. The way you write is so confortable to read and clear. Thank you for being so open about yourself and for allowing people to learn about such deep subjects :) also in love with your music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot.
      I’m glad the writing feels easy to connect with and very happy you found the music too. 🖤

      Delete
  3. Hi, you.

    I have no idea how I arrived here. I don’t know you and didn’t know your music before today.
    (I’ve listened to Glassball on repeat the past few hours and felt a bit like living the 80’s I didn’t grow up in. With a vampiric twist. Like witnessing a just-awaken vampire vibing alone on the dancefloor of some shady nightclub - no band, no DJ, no drinks, no smoke, no friends. Just a huge boombox, loneliness and rainbow neon lights slashing here and there. Quite sad and precious at the same time, this little thing you created. Thanks for that.)

    But that’s not the main reason why I decided to write this note. (And if you actually happen to read this, please keep in mind I’m not used to writing to random strangers, that English is not my first language, and that it’s actually 5AM-ish where I live. The whole thing might seem nonsensical and shitty.)
    Anyway. I arrived here today, no expectations, and read your last posts. This one hit quite a bit.

    I’ve studied psychology / neuropsychiatry for some years (was training in medical school to become a speech therapist), and couldn’t imagine I would get diagnosed with autism at some point. Generalized Anxiety Disorder was not a surprise because it was written all over my face. OCD was harder to swallow because I didn’t want to get that close to the patients I was hoping to help, one day. But ASD was a no-no. Just like you. I dismissed it a few times.

    When I finally surrendered, I felt relieved and cornered at the same time. You wrote about it very well : the files were already there. The difference was that everything was final and I couldn’t do shit about it. Therapists were telling me I had lived my whole life with a roommate I had never seen. Its shadow was everywhere, its f*cking mess was everywhere, and yet I had made it all my own. And they were telling me I would never, ever be able to get rid of it.
    I like people. Can even feel fascinated by people. Yet, I despise being with people.
    I look at people’s faces and feel overwhelmed by the possibilities. I look at my face and don’t really know if it’s mine.
    I resent Autism for being too close, too much, for making me too fragile. I feel privileged to have it by my side when I look at things with pure, magical wonder.

    Contrary to you, I’m still not entirely at peace with that. But reading your experience and point of view felt very soothing. You shaped your notion of Autism according to your boyfriend’s, I shaped mine according to autistic patients and studies. It didn’t mean both of us knew.
    Sometimes I still feel trapped, though. Like living in a matchbox and using all my strength to just… I don’t know. Trying not to burn, I guess. Flammable enough to burn within a few seconds, but not flamboyant enough to give birth to bonfires.
    I will keep your post close, for these moments. I still need other people’s stories to remember I’m not alone in this (and not only because I have Autism as a roomie).
    Thank you for that, stranger. :)

    (Way too long, girl-in-the-matchbox.)
    (Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to write all of this. And no need to apologize for the length (I read the whole thing). I’m glad you found Glassball too, and your description of it made me smile.

      I recognized quite a few things in what you wrote about autism, especially the strange mix of relief and feeling cornered once there is finally a name for something that has been there all along. I’m still working out what it means for me too, so I definitely don’t have everything figured out.

      I’m glad the post could give you a different perspective, or at least make the whole thing feel a little less solitary. Thank you for telling me.

      Delete

THE GAY RELATIONSHIP MANUAL WE WROTE FOR OURSELVES - PART 1: THERE WAS NEVER A MANUAL FOR US

  Four posts about how Seunghoon and I built a relationship that fits us, even when almost none of the usual advice did. So many people ha...