Wednesday, July 8, 2026

One Sentence Became My Reality


Last night our electricity went out.

My boyfriend and I went outside to switch the power back on. He was trying to

show me how the safety switch worked.

I wasn't paying attention.

I was too busy trying to kiss him.

I know that sounds stupid, but I love watching him fix things. I love it when he knows what to do. I love that calm, capable side of him. It makes me want him more.

Then he looked at me and said,

"You should learn this too. What if one day I'm not here?"

That was all it took.

One sentence.

He wasn't talking about leaving me.

He wasn't talking about dying.

He wasn't talking about our relationship at all.

He meant something practical.

What if he was at work one day?

What if I was home alone?

What if the power went out again and I had to do it myself?

That was what he meant.

Unfortunately, that wasn't what I heard.

The moment he said it, reality split.

There were only two possibilities.

Either he was going to die.

Or he was preparing to leave me.

There wasn't a third option.

I wasn't sitting there wondering whether those things were true.

I believed them.

Completely.

My mind didn't go somewhere logical.

It didn't imagine practical things.

It skipped straight to the end.

If he dies, I die too.

If he leaves me, I die too.

There is no future.

No morning.

No tomorrow.

No world.

Nothing.

Just blackness.

A black hole.

Chaos.

The end of everything.

And I don't mean that as a metaphor.

That was my reality.

I completely lost control.

I couldn't breathe properly.

I was shaking.

I couldn't sit still.

I kept pacing back and forth because my body didn't know where to put the panic.

I cried loudly.

Not pretty crying.

Real crying.

The kind where your whole body becomes painful.

At some point I threw the flashlight onto the ground and broke it.

He kept trying to explain.

"I didn't mean that."

"I wasn't talking about leaving you."

"I meant if I was at work."

"I meant if you were home alone."

I heard him.

But I wasn't listening.

That is the strange thing.

The words entered my ears, but they didn't reach me.

It wasn't that I thought he was lying.

It was that my thoughts had become louder than his voice.

Then another thought appeared.

What if he was only saying this because he didn't want to upset me?

What if he had already decided to leave?

What if he was preparing me slowly?

That became real too.

I wanted to check his phone.

Because my mind was desperately looking for proof.

Proof that he wasn't leaving.

Proof that my reality wasn't real.

He let me check.

There was nothing.

Of course there was nothing.

But it didn't help.

That is one of the hardest things to explain about borderline personality disorder.

People think reassurance always helps.

Sometimes it doesn't even get in.

Sometimes my mind builds another reality and locks me inside it.

Then the man I love is standing right there, speaking to me, touching me, trying to bring me back, and still I can't reach him.

Or maybe he can't reach me.

I don't know which one it is.

All I know is that I was gone.

Then he did something unexpected.

He pricked his finger.

Then he pricked mine.

He made a blood promise with me.

He promised that we would never leave each other.

I know some people will think that sounds ridiculous.

Maybe it does.

I don't care.

I believe in rituals.

I believe in magic.

I believe some actions carry a weight that words don't.

Words had not reached me.

Logic had not reached me.

Reassurance had not reached me.

But that did.

In that moment, the ritual was stronger than my thoughts.

It felt like it erased the reality my mind had created and made another one.

A better one.

A reality where he stayed.

A reality where I could breathe again.

A reality where the world did not end because of one sentence about an electrical switch.

That was when I believed him.

Not when he explained.

Not when he reassured me.

When he made the promise.

It felt like waking up.

Like coming back from somewhere very dark and realizing the room was still there.

He was still there.

I was still there.

This morning I understood what had happened.

I had catastrophized.

He had never been leaving me.

He had never been preparing me for anything.

He had simply been trying to teach me how to turn the electricity back on.

That's all.

Nothing around me had changed.

Only my mind had.

And honestly, even writing this now makes me feel like crying again.

I still feel that blackness open up.

If I think about him leaving, my chest still hurts.

I don't think my heart works separately from him.

Sometimes it feels like my heart only beats properly when he looks at me.

I know that sounds too much.

Maybe it is too much.

But that's how love feels inside me.

Looking back now, I also think about him.

He is autistic.

Situations like that are difficult for him too.

And somehow he stayed calm while I completely fell apart.

I don't know how he managed it.

I really don't.

But he did.

He stayed.

He handled me.

He brought me back.

And today he has been sweet to me all day, as if I didn't break a flashlight and cry for hours because of one sentence.

People often ask me what borderline personality disorder feels like.

For me, it isn't simply feeling emotions more intensely.

It's that my thoughts stop feeling like thoughts.

They become reality.

And reality is a very difficult thing to argue with.

Last night, logic didn't bring me back.

A promise did.

And somehow, for one night, that promise became stronger than the reality my mind had created.

 

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I came from your Instagram post and read this blog. It really moved me. I dont knownmuch about BPD, but I believe that you are stronger than you know. Your love sounds strong too. I am sending you love and light that you both get through any storm. Stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love <3 you’re a talented writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. As I was reading your story I started crying, because situations like this happened to me so many times too. I also have BPD. I understand you, I believe you, I know exactly how you feel, Angel. I hope that someday our minds will become more reasonable, that the darkness we have in our heads will become brighter and unrealistic thoughts become clearer. I know it takes a lot of work and effort, also amazing people who don’t judge, but at least try to understand us. For me it sounds like you already have a beautiful, patient soul beside you, who loves you deeply. I wish you and your Lover everything the best in this world and I’m sending you all my support, kisses and hugs! My name is Kinga, I’m 28 year old girl who loves girls 💗 I’m from Poland 🇵🇱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kinga. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this, and I’m glad the post resonated with you.

      Delete
  4. Having a supportive, understanding and caring partner like yours while having a BPD is a blessing. I wish you both much love, happiness and strength 🫶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m definitely grateful to have someone so patient and understanding beside me.

      Delete
  5. It’s amazing how your boyfriend made real magic. He made a spell go help him get through all the darkness you were feeling and, though all it, he brought you back to his side. He must really know your heart to be able to reach it, that is a power only love can grant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is the best <3 And we know each other since kids so I think he just knows how to bring me back.

      Delete

THE GAY RELATIONSHIP MANUAL WE WROTE FOR OURSELVES - PART 1: THERE WAS NEVER A MANUAL FOR US

  Four posts about how Seunghoon and I built a relationship that fits us, even when almost none of the usual advice did. So many people ha...